Play With Purpose...learn to play the speech language way!!
As a Pediatric Speech Therapist, these is one of my all time favorite toys!
Click here to purchase it on Amazon!!
Toys with keys are perfect to use to support early language skills with your late talkers, or preschoolers with language delays. You can target so many goals and use a range of language strategies with them during your therapy sessions and play-based therapy activities.
You can target a range of language strategies while playing with this toy from Melissa & Doug. It’s a perfect toy to use in play-based parent coaching sessions because it allows for open ended play!
Here are a few of my favorite language strategies to use with it:
· Commenting– talk about what you or the child are doing in play.
· Pausing–put the key inside of the lock and then pause before saying “open”, to give the child an opportunity to fill in the gap.
· Choices– “should we open the red door or the blue door?’
· Repetition– repeat the target words a lot during play. “open” “open the door” “open the red door”
· Copy and add– repeat what the child has said and add another word on. For example if the child says “open” you could add “Open door” or “open blue door”
· Follow their lead–join in with the child…. copy what they are doing rather than showing them how to play a certain way.
If you would love to learn more ways to help your child communicate using play based activities, give us a call!! We would love to show you the way!
Play On Words Therapy Solutions provides private speech langauge therapy services throughout Hillsborough and Polk county. If you would like to schedule a speech language evaluation or discuss scheduling therapy give us a call today!!